If you need to run TIS2000 software on PC, you have to connect GM Tech2 scanner using the RS232 cable with the DB9 Adapter to a serial COM Port at the PC. If you cannot get the Tech 2 scan tool connect to PC or fail to communication well, the best way is to connect the RS232-DB9 adapter correctly and then run a RS232 self test.
GM TECH 2 Features:
1) GM software in the Tech 2 Flash means the most comprehensive diagnostic software available for late model GM vehicles.
2) Support for on-board diagnostics on all GM systems 1992 thru current year.
3) Removable hardware modules provide insurance against scan tool obsolescence.
4) Large, easy-to-read backlit screen.
5) RS232 & RS485 ports provide the avenue to connect future devices to your Tech 2 Flash.
6) Ability to capture stored DTCs, Freeze Frame, and Failure Record for later review.
7) Ability to view the status of vehicle diagnostic tests as they run.
8) Bi-directional The authentic GM 1992-current year software will provide full bi-directional control when performing power train, chassis, and body diagnostics.
GM Tech2 gm diagnostic scanner comes with several connectors, including a RS232 cable and RS232-DB9 adapter (mark red circle below)
1) Follow the cable pinout to connect the cable correctly
Tech2 DB9-JR45 RS232 cable adapter pinout
BD-9 to RJ45
2) Then do a RS232 cable self test
How to do Tech 2 RS232 self test?
1. Power up the Tech2. Connect RS232 cable with Tech II scanner main unit.
2. Come to main menu. Select F4:Tool Options
3. Select F3: Self Test
4. Follow the system prompts:
Before running the Tech 2 self test:
CANdi interface must not be connected
ALDL loopback should be connected
Failure to follow these instructions may invalidate the self test
Press EXIT to continue
5. Select F3: Selectable main PCB
6. Select F2:RS232 LoopBack
7. Tech2 RS232 cable self test has passed
If RS232 cable passes self test, the commutation between Tech2 scanner and PC is well built.